21 December 2008

Stripping off aint no thang

I think I'm now officially sick of Kate Winslett. Sorry, call me cynical but I get really annoyed with the suggestion that when women have babies somehow they don't care about how they look anymore, as if bodies are no longer important. As a celebrity, I would think that Winslett would be inordinately body obsessed. After all, she has said a number of times in the media that the way she looks is important and that she is frustrated with emphasis placed on weight in Hollywood. She told The Sun:

“It’s never nudity for the sake of nudity. But the physical act of taking my clothes off on film, in a roomful of people? That gets easier because I’m used to it.

“And after you’ve had kids and you’ve been in that delivery ward, frankly, goodbye vanity, goodbye self-consciousness!”

I don't know. Maybe I'm totally wrong here. Does birth make you less self-conscious?

Source: http://www.entertainmentandshowbiz.com/kate-winslet-kate-winslet-thanks-pregnancy-for-making-stripping-off-onscreen-comfy-200812217245

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, birth definitely made me less self-conscious.

During labour I couldn't really care less who was seeing what, but I can only say that given the fact that only my husband, a midwife, a midwifery student and the doc were there (in varying numbers) during my labours. I'm not sure if I would have been self-conscious if anyone else had've come into the room. I think not, because I was deeply focused on birthing my baby, but I can't say for sure.

I also found I was much less self-conscious after the births -- I quite comfortably sat on the bed with no top on in front of my mum while my engorged boobs leaked out a stream of milk! I wouldn't normally be quite that comfortable around her.

And can I take this opportunity to say how much I seethe when I read or hear women (or others) talking about how you "leave your dignity at the door" (and phrases to that effect) when you birth a baby?!?!?! Labour is full of power and dignity, and the sooner women are given the deserved respect for it, the better. I'd love to see that fact perpetuated, not some demeaning crap about indignity.

 
Creative Commons License
The Baby Bump Project by Meredith Nash is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.