24 June 2007

Jenna Elfman on becoming a mother




When I was in the grand old US of A back in December perusing the shelves of my local Chicago Border's, I came across this mag called Plum which is a pregnancy zine devoted to women 35+...I thought it was a pretty novel concept, yet still mildly conformist and taking advantage of a demographic of women that is quite obviously having lots of babies and in possession of a nice pool of funds to thoroughly commodify motherhood...but alas I digress...after I finished photographing the myriad shelves of motherhood mind candy (at least 25 different magazines!) I decided to purchase Plum in the interest of research (especially because we are stuck with only 3 major pregnancy/mothering magazines here in Australia..boring!)

Anyway, this is the point of my post. Jenna Elfman, the lovely lady we used to know as the quirky Dharma from the show Dharma & Greg, is pregnant and due in July. She's a pretty hot woman and, at 35, fits squarely into the yummy mummy category. She's on the cover of the new edition of Plum and interestingly reveals why she waited 'for so long' to have kids (she and husband Bodhi have been married for 12 years). She says:

"I always felt my body changing would create a huge barrier to my career. But I started looking around at the actresses I admire -- Cate Blanchett, Julia Roberts, Rachel Griffiths -- and all the ones I admire have children. Actually, the most successful actresses all have children".

Isn't it a sad commentary on the state of celebdom when actresses have to worry about their bankability and body shape before they can allow themselves to have children? Ive been thinking about this quite a bit lately especially in light of the whole celebrity adoption phenomenon.

Is Hollywood adoption the solution to the post-baby battle of the bulge?

I've decided that women like Reese Witherspoon and Julia Roberts can go off and have babies and 'lose their bodies' because they are extremely successful and will always be sought after no matter what. Whereas, if you're low down on the Hollywood food chain, and you go off and get pregnant, no one will be asking after you.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
The Baby Bump Project by Meredith Nash is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.