23 November 2007

Nicole Richie indulges her 'cravings'

So I'm back to being American for the next month...and what better way to celebrate my renewed American-ness than a post about Nicole Richie 'indulging her cravings'.

According to the Daily Mail, Nicole Richie was spotted in New York eating pizza. I won't go into what I think about pregnancy 'cravings' as I've already written about that before: http://babybumpproject.blogspot.com/2007/10/more-more-more-milla-j-are-cravings.html
However, I do find it interesting that Nicole is constantly praised for eating, considering her shocking thinness pre-pregnancy. Nicole, at 7 months pregnant, is described 'blooming' and not 'fat'. If the same story had been written about Britney Spears, undoubtedly, the tone of the story would have been 'Look at Britney eating pizza. She's a fat pig'. Richie, on the other hand, is represented as the 'good' mother looking after the health of her baby.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting point. If you asked me ten years ago who would be pinned as "good mother" and "bad mother" between Nicole Richie and then American sweetie Britney Spears... well, it shows how things change. I guess in our culture, Nicole Richie's thinness saved her image. Sorry Britney.

 
Creative Commons License
The Baby Bump Project by Meredith Nash is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.