08 November 2007

Off and running?: pregnancy and exercise debates

If you hadn't noticed, I love Paula Radcliffe. As a distance runner myself, Paula has always been one of my very favourite female elite athletes. Now, given her recent New York marathon win, Paula has put pregnancy and exercise back in the headlines. As many pregnant women reading this know, being ‘fit’ is no longer perceived as being incompatible with motherhood and in fact, debates surrounding exercise engages women in a never-ending cycle of bodywork and self-surveillance. For example, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) state that:

Becoming active and exercising at least 30 minutes on most, if not all, days of the week can benefit your health…Regular activity also helps keep you fit during pregnancy and may improve your ability to cope with the pain of labor. This will make it easier for you to get back in shape after the baby is born.

This commonsense approach has been increasingly endorsed by medical professionals after numerous studies investigating the benefits or risks involved in participating in strenuous exercise whilst pregnant. Even though the most recent medical research positions daily exercise as being a necessary component of a ‘healthy’ pregnancy and recommended daily amounts of exercise are closely aligned with those recommended for periods of non-pregnancy, the exercise in pregnancy debate is long-standing. In the existing literature, exercise during pregnancy pregnancy has not generally been associated with miscarriage although the research is largely inconsistent. In one of the largest studies of the link between exercise and pregnancy to date comprising a cohort of almost 93,000 Danish women revealed that certain types of exercise, particularly those marked as ‘high-impact’ were associated with miscarriage.

However, the recommendations are not as easily translated in consideration of the various activities women participate in during daily life. In many cases, a regimented physical exercise programme is much less likely to occur in pregnancy given the multiple demands and competing expectations of pregnant women’s behaviour. As the guidelines for pregnancy exercise have shifted and a number of clinical studies have demonstrated the positive benefits of moderate exercise, such public biomedical exhortations imply that pregnant women should exercise in order to have a healthy pregnancy. Fitness in pregnancy is situated within notions of 'risk', particularly with regard to how pregnant women use their bodies such that ‘fitness’ is increasingly becoming a part of a successful performance of pregnancy. In pregnancy, the attainment and maintenance of a ‘fit, risk-free, flexible, and responsible body’ is the mark of a ‘good’ mother.

Paula Radcliffe has been positioned as both an inspiration for new mums trying to 'bounce back' and also a detriment to mums who feel they could never live up to the training regimen Paula maintained throughout her pregnancy. However, I was pleased to see a great article in the New York Times today discussing the relative safety of running through pregnancy (albeit with some caution). For so long, women have been told that they cannot exercise vigorously in pregnancy for fear of raising their core temperature too high. However, given that pregnant women's blood volume increases at least 20% during pregnancy, some research has shown that this increase is what allows pregnant women to exercise safely and that body temperature should not be as much of a concern. The major concerns with exercising these days in pregnancy are questions of comfort as opposed to capability. Most importantly, numerous studies have shown that exercising in pregnancy is associated with a more positive body sense of self and body image.

In my study,my pregnant informants’ cited three primary motivations for exercising in pregnancy. First, a number of my informants cited body image, feelings of fatness and pressure to lose weight postnatally. The second motivation involves exercise as positively affecting psychological and physical well-being. Thirdly, my pregnant informants cited the need to be ‘fit’ for birth as a primary motivation for exercise. Often women cited a combination of the above three reasons.
How much did you exercise during pregnancy? I'm writing a chapter for my book on this very topic now, so I would love to hear from you.

5 comments:

Academia Nut said...

Been exercising 4-5 days per week. When I go to the gym, I try to do an hour of weights and an hour of cardio--that takes me anywhere from 90-120 minutes.

I had just lost about 30 pounds in the months before I got pregnant. I'm nearly 5 months into my pregnancy now and I've gained back 20. I feel terrible and I hate that I feel terrible.

Tsismosa said...

I walked everyday, 2-5 miles. It really lowered my stress levels and I never suffered the discomfort of swelling. I also did prenatal yoga and pilates. I probably did yoga 4 times a week and the pilates twice. I really enjoyed having a fit pregnancy, because I always felt good and comfortable and I could tie my shoes and all that. I had a short labor and didn't feel my body had changed at all from pregnancy. If anything, I felt better about my body because I realized how strong and capable it was.

Anonymous said...

I'm 26 yrs old and 12 weeks pregnant. Despite all criticisms I'm running on a treadmill at a comfortable speed (6.5-7.8 mph) for 20-25 minutes and then 20 minutes of an elliptical at a level of 12 every other day. While my running was decreased from 60 minutes outdoors to the level stated above I have had a breezy first trimester, have gone from 128 lbs to 133 lbs over these 3 months, just what I've been told I should. My appetite has always been much greater than other women my age and size but exercise has always kept my weight within 4 lbs of 130 since high school. My belly is definitely growing but I feel especially healthy on the days that I hit the gym- no swelling, more energetic, better mood. For me it is a no brainer as I've struggled with depression and body issues since I can remember. I even have memories of feeling "fat" in a skirted swimsuit when I was in about 3rd grade. Really sad, but its a reality and something I have to make time to prevent. Exercise for my own enjoyment has been the only cure to these things. I do find it disturbing, now that I'm finally pregnant how strong everyone's opinions on the subject are. Those who study women who were at a higher activity level prior to pregnancy seem to be more open to pregnant running programs as long as it is still comfortable to the mother. While other studies, which don't seem to differentiate pre-pregnancy fitness levels, throw women into low or high impact programs and publish the results as if we are all the same?! I really appreciate these articles that admit we just aren't all the same and should not be treated all the same during pregnancy. Anyone in the Ohio area each May should sign up for the Flying Pig Marathon/Races. I'll be doing the 10k at 5 mos prego. Obviously I wouldn't try to place this year but just completing it will be exciting. This will definitely go in the baby book!

Anonymous said...

I am 9 weeks pregnant and have been very active before becoming pregnant.( cross country skiing, skating, walking, weight lifting etc. I already have a 4 year old son who keeps me busy as well. Recently, since the weather has improved ( I live in Quebec) I have been riding my bike. I was wondering if riding 34 km is too much. I cut it in half and make sure that I am drinking enough fluid and eating a lot. My husband is worried and has stated many times that I am being selfish.( I miscarried last year). I tell him that I am not pushing myself, and that I bike at a leisurly pace. I liked reading the comments and the marathon runner makes me feel inspired.

Mark and Liz said...

Dear Anonymous- With having a previous miscarriage you will likely need to be more careful but there are still no definitive lines draw as to what an active person such as yourself should or can be doing at this point. Listen to your body closely. I have since increased my running back up to 60 minutes upon my 2nd trimester and feel great! Runner's World has a book out there regarding theories and advice about running and I'm sure there is an equivalent regarding bike exercise. The point is, do your own research and try not to be biased. When you get differing opinions you'll have to make your own call. Biking is definitely less jarring than running so it sounds safer-- just keep in mind you will need to consider information you were given regarding why or how you miscarried last time. Family history will often reveal a lot as well. Keep doing something you enjoy even if it means you have to turn down the intensity---we don't want you to miss out on the first few months of mothering because of baby blues!

 
Creative Commons License
The Baby Bump Project by Meredith Nash is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.