12 September 2007

Kim Raver: just a bump with no head


Kim Raver from the American show Lipstick Jungle has posed nude and 7 months pregnant for a new Vaseline ad debuting in the October editions of Vanity Fair, Vogue, Self and Glamour magazines. The quote at the bottom says:
'Pregnancy, in particular, makes you appreciate your skin and want to take care of it. I'm so that, as my body grows, my skin stretches and stretches. I'm in awe of how elastic it is'.
Of the ad campaign, Raver says:
'I feel a lot more comfortable getting naked than I do when I’m not pregnant'
Again, why is it necessary for women to be disembodied in advertising? Raver is just a belly with no head, an object to be looked it. She's not portrayed as a 'mother-to-be', she is a body on display. Strange that the quote at the bottom is meant to imply that she is 'talking' about her own body but her 'mind' and 'body' are quite literally disconnected by gaze of the camera.
And doesn't it break your heart that women can't feel good about their bodies unless they are 'big' for a reason?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this photo

 
Creative Commons License
The Baby Bump Project by Meredith Nash is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.