01 February 2008

J.Lo too good for paper hospital gown

It seems the more time I devote to following celebrity pregnancy, which at one time used to give me an unsettling thrill, now is just starting to make me angry. Celebrity preggos no longer appeal to me as 'real' women with the luxury of a bit of fame and fortune, but rather caricatures of 'isms': flagrant consumerism, narcissism and old school maternalism. Or maybe it's just because I have serious issues with J.Lo.

What has prompted my rant? Well, according to MSNBC J.Lo has not only had couture hospital gowns prepared for her hospital stay but has apparently elected to have a caesar for the birth of her alleged twins. I don't know what makes me more angry, the fact that J.Lo is too good for a paper hospital gown and requires a matching couture robe or that she's having an elective caesar. Why in the world would you choose to have a caesar unless it was medically necessary? Given that all of these celebrity women apparently want to have babies so badly, I find it really hard to believe that they are all so 'busy' that they simply do not have time to allow a baby (or babies, whatever the case may be) to come into the world in its own time. A caesarean does not make birth easier contrary to popular belief. It's amazing that such smart, successful women continue to believe their bodies are not capable of pushing out a baby.

4 comments:

Sarah Stewart said...

I totally agree with you, having written about it in : my blog. But to be fair, twins can be a little more complicated and a C/S may be medically justified. And in a situation like this, you may not be able to get support from obstetricians for a vaginal birth, in which case, you're stuffed.

Unknown said...

I'd ditch those hospital gowns too, if I had the luxury. And, actually, I do. A lovely birth center just opened in our town and I'll be able to wear whatever I like. Nothing like a generic hospital gown to remind you that you're on the assembly line of American obstetrics.

Anonymous said...

If she wanted children but found childbirth revolting, like I do, the csection is a good idea. It doesn't seem to be that bad because these celebrity mothers have them over and over!

Anonymous said...

In most circumstances i completely agree w/ you, but as far as im aware hospital gowns are not paper, they are fabric, unlike the ones in the actual OB office, and as a mother who gave birth by emergency c-section, i feel cheated... like i missed out on an important part of having a child... i could never justify an elective c-section myself....

 
Creative Commons License
The Baby Bump Project by Meredith Nash is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.