23 April 2007

ricki lake homebirth doco


Remember Ricki Lake? Gosh, how many afternoons of my primary school years were spent in front of the boob tube watching The Ricki Lake Show? Well, according to the Huffington Post, Ricki is premiering her documentary, On The Business of Being Born, at the Tribeca Film Festival. The film is inspired by her own very different birth experiences and even shows Lake birthing her son Owen in the tub. Here is a snippet of the interview:

Why did you want to produce this film?
I wanted to make this movie after my two very different birth experiences with my children. I felt like I had an opportunity to explore and question birthing practices in this country and perhaps be an advocate for mothers' rights and better maternity care

How did your personal birth experiences influence you?
After the birth of my sons, particularly my home birth with my second son, I thought I wanted to become a midwife. Then I looked at all the years of schooling and training that I would have to do and felt that the time could be better spent doing a documentary on the subject of birth.

How intimate does the film get?
I am naked at 195 pounds giving birth in my own bathtub. It can't get any more intimate than that!

Read the rest of the interview here:

Go Ricki! Go Ricki!

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
The Baby Bump Project by Meredith Nash is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.