22 August 2007

Bodies after baby

I was very surprised to come across this article in the Mirror in which four women describe how their bodies have changed after having babies. Most of them are very frank and candid descriptions of the realities of stretch marks and postbaby bellies, such a stark contrast to the scripted body loving bullshit that celebrities spout with only a mere mention (or none at all) that they have spent 10 grueling weeks whipping themselves back into shape.

One woman says:
"I used to be a nicely-toned size 14 with a washboard stomach. Now I'm a poorly-toned size 16. I can cope with the extra inches on my thighs and bottom, even my saggy post-breastfeeding boobs, but it's the bottom of my tummy that really bothers me. It just hangs there, all loose muscle and shrivelled skin".

However, as much as I was happy to see some real life depictions of post-baby bodies, the article has to end by suggesting ways women can prevent saggy boobs and bellies and big thighs. *Sigh* Why couldn't the article just begin and end with women's own voices? Why do we always have to resort to reinforcing normative images of femininity? That women are never 'good' enough unless their stomachs are perfectly taut and tight and their boobs are perky. The women featured in this story already seem to feel like they aren't 'good' enough now that their bodies look different, why place more pressure on them by suggesting that they should have done something to prevent the post-baby 'damage'?

Source: http://www.mirror.co.uk/showbiz/yourlife/2007/08/21/what-really-happens-to-your-body-when-you-have-a-baby-89520-19666203/

1 comment:

Tsismosa said...

I thought this article was strange. It's all griping about the post-baby "damage" but all the mommies (stripped down to their underwear) look beautiful and look like most pre-baby people I see.

 
Creative Commons License
The Baby Bump Project by Meredith Nash is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.