10 August 2008

Placenta: it's what's for dinner?

Camila Alves had a long labour: 60 hours. She ended up with a caesar but Matt McConaughey told CNN that he kept the placenta and will bury it based on an Aboriginal ritual he learned about in Australia:

"It's going to bear some wonderful fruit," said the 38-year-old.

"When I was in Australia, they had a placenta tree that was on the river," he added. "It was gorgeous."

"All the placentas of all that tribe, all that clan, whatever aboriginal tribe that was, all the placentas went under that one tree and it was this huge behemoth of just health and strength.

"This tree was just growing taller and stronger above the rest of Mother Nature around it."

I find it odd that this sort of story makes the news. I think the implication is that it's weird and slightly funny that someone would actually want to keep a placenta. Most of the reader comments to the story say as much, most read along the lines of 'Ew'.

A few women in my study had a lotus birth, eventually burying the placenta or eating it.

What did you do with your placenta?

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7551683.stm

2 comments:

Cherryskin said...

We couldn't stand the thought of such a magnificent organ which had kept our babies growing healthy and strong being thrown into a hazardous waste bag, so we kept mine. In a tupperware in the freezer! For four years! Joined by the second one after three years.
Then we took them to the remote beach where we met, and buried them deep in the sand. I LOVE that we did that. My husband who is queasy around blood etc was totally fine with it.

Academia Nut said...

My placenta? I thank God for my placenta because it fed and nurtured by little boy. However, I let the doctors take it away. I don't even remember thinking of it as soon as I saw his sweet face.

 
Creative Commons License
The Baby Bump Project by Meredith Nash is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.