23 July 2007

Jessica Rowe talks about postnatal depression


I was wondering what ever happened to former Today host Jessica Rowe. Since she was blatantly booted from Channel 9 following her maternity leave, there haven't been any photographs or mentions of her or her baby. Low and behold, she reveals in this week's issue of New Idea that she has been suffering from postnatal depression since the birth of her daughter, Allegra, in January. Now Rowe is back in the spotlight with a gig reading the news on Channel 7 and will be appearing in the next installment of Dancing with the Stars.
According the Sydney Morning Herald, Rowe says:
"I suffered postnatal depression, not for long, but I did have it. At first I didn't want to acknowledge it. I knew it wasn't right and that it was more then being sleep deprived. I pushed it away for a few days."
Upon visiting her obstetrician, Rowe says, "I remember talking to her and sobbing".
My only complaint is the New Idea headline shouting that Rowe 'beat' depression implying that somehow if she hadn't overcome PND she wouldn't have been as marketable or she would have been a less successful mother. I have yet to read the actual story but I wonder if Rowe talks about the dark times or if instead she glosses over it and just talks about how great it is to be back in action. I think women really need to hear that they aren't the only ones suffering in silence and that there is support out there if they need it.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
The Baby Bump Project by Meredith Nash is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.