31 July 2007

Mylene Klass and the white bikini


It seems that if you live anywhere remotely near the UK, Mylene Klass is a household name. Since falling pregnant, her public presence has grown enormously. There is one bit of her story that I find particularly intriguing. Before she was pregnant, she famously modeled for Marks and Spencer in a white bikini. The 'white bikini shoot' was famously reprised when she was 5 months pregnant. The bikinis flew off the shelves and so much so that Marks and Spencer got itself out of it's looming financial demise. It didnt seem to matter that a pregnant woman was modeling a bikini for ostensibly non-pregnant women. Fast forward and Klass has posed naked on the cover of UK Glamour and is currently appearing in the Marks and Spencer autumn ad campaign at 8.5 months pregnant. In the words of one jouralist, Klass has done for pregnancy what Kate Moss did for heroin chic.
Pregnancy has also been a major turnaround in Klass' muddled career which has been riddled with weight issues. When the baby is born, she says there will be "no faddy diets, none of that nonsense." "I'm as prey as anyone to images of super-skinny women, but it's important that women see someone who's normal. I'm 5ft 5in and I've got boobs and a bum. I'm never going to be tiny-tiny but the best things have happened to me when I've been at my heaviest, including meeting my fella when I was size 16. He pointed out to me last night when he was rolling me into bed - we live by the Thames, so there are a lot of whale jokes in our house - that I was heavier when we met than I have been while I'm pregnant."

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
The Baby Bump Project by Meredith Nash is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.