20 July 2007

Tori Spelling embraces her new curves

When she was pregnant Tori Spelling gained 40 lbs (18 kg) and in only 4 months, she has lost 22 lbs (10kg) so she is well on her way to making it to her pre-pregnancy weight of 115 lbs (52kg) as a result of her NutriSystem diet (which I've written about previously). In this week's Us magazine, Tori talks about her weight loss and motherhood. Apparently, it was a rude shock to discover that breastfeeding did not make a significant dent in her pregnancy weight gain.

On her body a few weeks post birth:
“I thought I looked heavier after I had the baby. [The bulge] left the stomach area and shifted into areas that I didn’t know could gain weight…I was like, Uh-oh”.

On exercise:
To supplement her healthy diet, Spelling started working out with trainer Sam Levine two months after giving birth. Two to three times a week “we do a lot of kickboxing, work on the abs, squats and lunges,” she says.

On her postbaby body:
“I like my curves. I’m happy with the way I look. I don’t think about getting down to a size 0 or a size 2 because that was before. I’m a mom now!”

I think this is a strange statement. It just reinforces alot of sociohistorical associations of motherhood as un-sexy, meaning that the mother's body sort of becomes a function of her child's needs and not a desirable sexual 'object'. I think it's interesting that she says this because celebrities are the ones that have gone out of their way to make motherhood overtly sexy and glamorous.

But then in the next breath she says her goal is to lose another 10 pounds and then flaunt her knockout figure.

On being a sexy mum:
“I’m going to put on a bikini and walk proudly down the beach!”

Sources:
http://etonline.com/celebrities/news/49044/index.html
http://usmagazine.com/tori_spelling_ive_lost_22_pounds

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
The Baby Bump Project by Meredith Nash is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.